Welcome to my Place

Hi everyone,

I hope you will enjoy my place and my photos, I am looking forward to visits from friends, old and new.

Please respect the copyright on my photos. Thank you.

Monday 14 April 2014

Spring at Walmer Castle

The Queen Mothers Garden

We are very lucky to have two castles within walking distance of our home. Walmer Castle has beautiful grounds and is a favourite with me, because it so relaxing walking round the gardens and the woodland.

Beautiful walking through the woods.

These photos were taken last month, as you can see the spring flowers were on show, and the sun shining through the bare trees was lovely. I am always surprised that not many people take the time to walk through the woods, but the lack of people makes the woodland a very peaceful area of the Castle grounds.

The wobbly Yew Hedge

Violets

Walmer Castle was  built during the reign of Henry Vlll one of three castles built on the Kent coast to defend the stretch of water known as The Downs. Walmer is the most southerly of the castles, Deal Castle is about 2 miles further North, and the 3rd Castle was at Sandown, further north again. Sandown Castle is no longer in existence, all  that is left is a very small part of the original walls, the rest of the building has been claimed by the sea.

Beautiful primroses

Walmer Castle has been the official residence of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports for about 200 years. The Queen Mother used to visit the Castle frequently when she held the title of Lord Warden. The helicopter bringing the Queen Mother used to land opposite our house in what was The Royal Marines Barracks, and we used to wave to her as she drove past our house  on her way to the Castle.

Not so many photos this time but I hope you enjoy them Smile 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Poppy, I love castles and I also love Flowers so to me this is a wonderful post. Thank you for having us come along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Horst lovely shots and thank for sharing your day out.
    Sheila x

    ReplyDelete