Welcome to my Place

Hi everyone,

I hope you will enjoy my place and my photos, I am looking forward to visits from friends, old and new.

Please respect the copyright on my photos. Thank you.

Tuesday 4 August 2015

The Church of St. Laurence, Ramsgate, Kent.

The Church of St Laurence, as seen from the Churchyard.

The Church of St. Laurence in Thanet, is the ‘old’ parish church of Ramsgate. It started as a Chapel which was attached to the nearby Minster Abbey. The earliest part of the Church is believed to have been built in 1062, with many alteration over the centuries.

The interesting part of the interior for me was the beautiful stained glass windows, which you will see some examples of here. I did take other interior photos, but it was a dull day, and both my friend Pat and I were slightly disappointed with the photos. We need to go back again another day!

The interior has a mixture of Norman, Early English and Victorian architecture, and is a beautiful church.

The Churchyard, which is about 3 1/2 acres is of as much importance as the Church, so I have decided to do a separate blog just on the amazing Churchyard.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these lovely photos. Many of my husband's ancestors used this church. Lovely to see it from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you have enjoyed the post, maybe some of your husband's ancestors are buried in the Churchyard?

      Delete